Sunday, March 24, 2013

Icarus and "The Croods"

Apparently, the Icarus story is following everyone through their lives at this point.  I went to see the new Disney movie, The Croods, last night with friends and could not stop thinking about Icarus.  At some point in the movie, each character had a moment where they were "flying".  There was also a lot about stories... and "life lessons".  In one of these stories, a man "jumped on the sun and flew to tomorrow".  This seemed to be a running theme through the whole movie.  I don't think that any of my friends would have gotten the reference, because they were just there for the entertainment, but, literally, every five minutes, there was something else that was "Icarus" related.
  I think that this story is a really nice displacement.  It told the story in a new way, that was kind of subtle, and was very entertaining.  And beyond that, it will probably be a movie that kids think about in ten/fifteen years when they read the Icarus story.  They'll have a very modern representation of the story that they have grown up with and care about.  
I wish that I could really go into detail about more things from the movie that made me think of Icarus, but I don't want to spoil it for anyone that wants to see it and hasn't yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment