Wednesday, April 10, 2013

2012

You know, I always laugh at movies that are about some upcoming apocalypse, but there was a commercial on today about the end of society.  It looked so similar to the commercials for "2012" when they came out in 2009.
 I can honestly say that I've never watched that movie, mostly because I thought that it was so pointless after hearing a speech from someone that actually understood the Mayan calender.  If you look closely at the Mayan calender, technically the world ends every twelve years.  Everyone can remember being excited for the turn of the century, until all the conspiracy theorists came out with the Y2K idea, which was, once again, based off the Mayan calender. The woman I heard a speech from was Rigoberta Menchu Tut, a Nobel Peace winner from Guatemala, that is an indigenous person.
She explained that, based off of the Mayan belief system, society resets itself every twelve years, in an effort to start a new cycle.
In my last blog, I wrote about how I think it is possible for a symbolic apocalypse to happen.  And technically, that's true based off of their belief system.  I really want to know what the origin of this chain of thought is, because I'm assuming that there's something significant about the number twelve, since there is usually something important about anything that relates to a belief system and the stories/myths associated with it.
I'm actually really glad that I never watched 2012, because I like knowing the reason that the Mayan calender resets itself, and I don't want to watch the Hollywood take on what it means.
 I think that movie is important, though, because it made the Mayan calender a big talking point in our society for several years.  And it gave people, like myself, the ability to learn the significance and the reason that a movie could be based off of some traditional idea of a foreign culture.



On a side note-- one of my history professors showed us a spoof of 2012 in my Soviet Russia class this semester and I really just want to post it...
It doesn't really fit, but it's still entertaining if you know anything about Russian politics.



No comments:

Post a Comment